The Utica Comets travel to the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence, RI to face the Bruins in what will be both teams’ regular-season finales.
The Utica Comets (42-20-8-1, 93 points, 0.655 points percentage) and Providence Bruins (36-24-5-6, 83 points, 0.585 points percentage) are both assured their spots in the 2022 Calder Cup Playoffs. The Comets have clinched the number one seed in the Eastern Conference and will play the winner of the North Division’s best three-play-in round between the fourth and fifth place teams in the division – those teams will be determined by the end of play on Saturday. The Bruins are locked into third place in the Atlantic Division and will play the sixth place Bridgeport Islanders in the first round.
Nevertheless, the two teams will meet on Saturday night in a game that was originally scheduled for December 5th. Both teams had top players returned to them from their NHL parent clubs in the past twenty-four hours, but it is unclear if any of them will play in this game. The Comets could also possibly see Tyce Thompson return to the lineup, and will also welcome recent New Jersey Devils signee Chase Stillman to the team as well. With that said, here is the tale of the tape for Saturday night’s Utica Comets vs Providence Bruins game. Note – team leaders will include players who returned to their respective clubs within the past twenty-four hours, regardless of whether they will play tonight or not.
- Goals For (overall): 242 – 5th overall in the AHL.
- Goals For (away): 120 – 6th overall in the AHL.
- Chase DeLeo: 19 goals and 35 assists = 54 points.
- Fabian Zetterlund: 24 goals and 25 assists = 52 points.
- AJ Greer: 22 goals and 30 assists = 52 points.
- Alexander Holtz: 26 goals and 25 assists = 51 points.
- Reilly Walsh: 9 goals and 34 assists = 43 points.
Fabian Zetterlund leads the Comets in shots with 175, and game-winning goals with seven.
- Goals For (overall): 197 – 28th overall in the AHL.
- Goals For (home): 101 – 29th overall in the AHL.
- Cameron Hughes: 14 goals and 31 assists = 45 points.
- Steven Fogarty: 12 goals and 30 assists = 42 points.
- Oskar Steen: 15 goals and 20 assists = 35 points.
- Jack Studnicka: 10 goals and 25 assists = 35 points.
- Justin Brazeau: 15 goals and 16 assists = 31 points.
Cameron Hughes leads the Bruins in shots with 156, while Oskar Steen leads the team in game-winning goals with five.
Defense and Goaltending.
- Goals Against (overall): 204 – 8th overall in the AHL.
- Goals Against (away): 112 – 13th overall in the AHL.
- Akira Schmid has a record of 22-8-5 with a GAA of 2.60, a 0.911 save percentage, and two shutouts. Schmid is 7th in the AHL in wins, 14th in GAA and shutouts, and 16th in save percentage.
- Nico Daws has a record of 13-4-2 with a GAA of 2.57, a 0.913 save percentage, and two shutouts.
- Mareks Mitens has a record of 7-8-2 with a GAA of 3.31, a 0.888 save percentage, and no shutouts.
- Goals Against (overall): 188 – 2nd overall in the AHL.
- Goals Against (home): 89 – 2nd overall in the AHL.
- Kyle Keyser has a record of 11-14-7 with a GAA of 2.75, a 0.908 save percentage, and one shutout.
- Troy Grosenick has a record of 16-6-4 with a GAA of 2.00, a 0.933 save percentage, and three shutouts. Grosenick is 1st in the AHL in both GAA and save percentage, and 6th in shutouts.
- Brandon Bussi has a record of 3-1-0 with a GAA of 2.43, a 0.927 save percentage, and one shutout.
Special Teams – Power Play.
- Overall: 21.4% (49 goals in 229 opportunities) – 5th overall in the AHL.
- Away: 23.4% (26 goals in 111 opportunities) 7th overall in the AHL.
Chase DeLeo leads the Comets in power-play points with eighteen. Fabian Zetterlund leads the team in power-play goals with eight, while Reilly Walsh leads in power-play assists with fifteen.
- Overall: 17.6% (52 goals in 295 opportunities) – 26th overall in the AHL.
- Home: 17.0% (26 goals in 153 opportunities) – 22nd overall in the AHL.
Cameron Hughes leads the Bruins in power-play points with nineteen. Steven Fogarty leads the team in power-play goals with six, while Hughes leads in power-play assists with eighteen.
Special Teams – Penalty Kill.
- Overall: 81.6% (41 goals allowed in 223 times shorthanded) – 11th overall in the AHL.
- Away: 75.2% (28 goals allowed in 113 times shorthanded) – 28th overall in the AHL.
- Shorthanded goals scored: 13 – 3rd overall in the AHL.
AJ Greer leads the Comets in shorthanded goals scored with four, which is also fourth in the American Hockey League.
- Overall: 84.8% (42 goals allowed in 276 times shorthanded) – 3rd overall in the AHL.
- Home: 86.0% (20 goals allowed in 143 times shorthanded) – 3rd overall in the AHL.
- Shorthanded goals scored: 8 – 15th overall in the AHL.
Cameron Hughes leads the Bruins in shorthanded goals with four, which is also fifth in the American Hockey League.
Saturday night’s Utica Comets at Providence Bruins game is scheduled to start at 7:05 pm EDT. Radio coverage begins with the pregame show on 94.9 K-rock (WKLL). The television broadcast begins at 7:05 on AHLTV.